Monday, November 27, 2017

One More Year: A short story about God's call to us and how to answer

Surprise! On December 12th,  I'll be returning to San Jose to serve the Diocese of Costa Rica.
I will be helping with of the church's newest projects to help at-risk youth in impoverished communities. They are building a second floor on top of one of the Hogar Escuela buildings, and it will be used as a Teen Center during the week (for the youth who age out of the Hogar Escuela program), and will be a Vocational Training Center on the weekends (for the mothers of the children to learn new skills). I am beyond grateful to the Diocese of Costa Rica for having faith in me and helping me to answer God's call in their community.

I've been feeling a calling to international mission for a long time in my life, and God's timing was finally right for me to serve. This past year in Costa Rica was full of challenges and from those challenges came incredible growth spiritually, mentally, and physically. Before the year began, I felt excited by the idea of serving a second year with the Young Adult Service Corps. As the months went on, the call to stay another year got stronger. I had soo many days where I was scared I was interpreting God's voice all wrong. I would ask myself "am I just feeling this way because it's selfish?" "How do I know it's God's voice telling me to serve and not something else?" And those were the days where I would pray. It's nothing revolutionary, but it was the only way I knew how to keep myself in tune with what God wanted me to do. I would get my heart in tune with listening, and every time I did, I heard the same thing: "Stay." And when I officially made the decision and spoke with Bishop Monterroso, I felt the peace that passes all understanding running through my body. I knew that it's my life's mission to follow that peace and to cultivate it in my life.
Or more simply "go where the peace is." So that's what I'm doing 😌

Next step is fundraising! I only have to raise $8,000 this year as compared to $10,000 the year before to help cover my plane tickets, health insurance, and monthly stipend. I will be holding a fundraising lunch after the 10:30 service at the Episcopal Church of Our Saviour. We will be serving authentic Costa Rican food and have a presentation about the Diocese of Costa and my experiences this past year. Along with never-before-seen pictures and videos of  The World's Most Adorable Children (because I'm not allowed to post them on social media).

I am so thankful for everyone who helped me to achieve my goal and to answer God's call, and I know that this year will be no different.

Isaiah 43


1 comment:

  1. Saludos y bienvenida a San Jose. Muchas bendiciones en tu caminar.

    ReplyDelete